Monday, January 9, 2012

This is the moment I have dreaded the most





This is the moment
I have dreaded the most
Three months have gone by
they have been full of
hoping
praying
nursing
worrying
growing
caring
sharing
rushing
We have been so involved
in making Grammy better
we knew it was bad
but we had a plan
and it was always working for the next step
in the process
Then she was gone
just like that
gone
but
before we could pause
and really let it sink in
we were on the go again
planning
to give her the best remembrance
that she deserved
It has been four days
that have seemed like forty four
of planning
rushing
crying
praying
and doing
Each time a tear starts to creep up
we can surround ourselves with a task
to help mask
the pain
but now
now is the moment
I have dreaded most
all the meets and greets
words and hugs
are done
prayers have been given
kinds words have been spoken
and now
I am left with
an empty house
and no task at hand
I knew that this
indeed would be the hardest part
Yes
we are surrounded by love
but the hole is huge
I won't even try to say
all the things I would like to say
After hearing my husband
no word
can begin to compare with his
He is truly amazing
His mom, my mom
would be
and is
so proud
so proud
It is such a shame
that we say all of these things
after our loved ones are gone
I have spoken of the stages of grief before
guilt
denial
anger
depression
acceptance
But I
still stuck in guilt
can't help but to think
I wish I had said more
done more
was there more
I know I was
I know I did a lot
but we always want to do more
have said more
have done more
Why did I not look into her eyes
and told her how much
she meant
I just assumed
that it would be premature
and that there was no reason
to be talking like that
I wanted to believe
that we did indeed
have more time
Why is it
that at funerals
is when all of these things are said
It saddens me
that she could not be
on the pew with us
hearing all of these things
I wanted her to know
All the things her sons said about her
I know she heard them
But she deserved more
I guess it goes back to what was said today
we are always in a rush
we always thing there will be another day
we always plan on that next time
I feel so lucky
to have the husband that I have
I have fallen in love all over again
he is my soul mate
As others fall out of love
I am more in love
then ever before
He is the real deal
and I am seeing now
why
His mom did good
so good
She raised him
to be the father and husband that he is
so she
could spoil the grandkids
I get it now
She was hard then
so he grew up so perfect
and then
she let down her guard
and spoiled those kids rotten
Like Kevin said
it is hard to hear
that she is in a better place
what could be better then being here
with her husband that is so in love with her
her sons that adore and respect her
her grand kids that love her to pieces
what could be better then that
yes that is hard to hear
but we are not to understand
we are not to question
God does indeed
have a plan
I sure do wish
I had my dogs here to hug
their constant happy faces
and tails wagging
would be a huge comfort
when all is sad around us
Grammy and I had long talks about my
poor grieving skills
she lectured me on a daily basis
how she understood to be sad
and to miss
but this guilt stuff was just silly
I can't stop hearing her voice tell me that
I need to remember it now
I just want her to know
that I did indeed love her
and respect her
so so much
I wish
all those times we talked
that I told her that more
But yes
all she usually wanted to talk about
were the kids
and me
and how we were doing
everyday
everyday
I still have four messages on our answering machine
I will not erase these
It is nice to play them back
and pretend that Grammy just called
wanting me to call her back
I want to so bad
Just call her back
if I only could
Wow
this so hard
I know I can talk to her
but I want her here
right here
It was a beautiful day
perfect for her
So thankful for the many many blessings in our lives
I will live in the moment
for here on out
I know I will forget
I know I will get off track
but I will get back on
and know
that while all else is important and great
family is what makes us full
and when we feel a hole in our heart
only family
and warm memories
can fill it

No comments:

Post a Comment